Sunday, September 7, 2014

Never Use Technology as a Substitute for Leadership

    
     Have you ever sent an email or text message that was totally taken in a way other than what you intended? I sent one of those emails last week that threw me into damage control. I found myself saying, "Wait, wait, wait, that's not what I was intending to communicate to you". It got me thinking about a recent article in Success Magazine titled, "Managing Technology". Listed below are the big ideas.
  1. Leadership is personal and relational. Leaders touch a heart before they ask for a hand. This requires a personal touch that can't be achieved through technology.
  2. People want to feel heard. Hearing someone is an expression of caring enough to listen - Face-to-Face.
  3. Never use technology as a shield for a tough conversation. The leader owes it to their people to have those tough conversations in person. Those conversations are often unpleasant but are a price we pay as a leader. There should never be a disconnected, impersonal email, text message, or voice mail for tough conversations. When we have these conversations face-to-face you can see how they respond to your observations and come to an agreement of how to proceed together.
  4. Never use technology when a more personal approach is available. Leadership is personal, interactive, instinctive, and dynamic. Don't email if you can make a call. Don't call if you can meet face-to-face. This will help to maintain and improve relationships with your followers.
     This week as I look at the list of emails that need to be sent on my to-do list, I plan to slow down and think about the best way to communicate. I hope you will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment